January kicked off our seven month chakra-focused series with the root. Moving into April, we're focusing all on the heart chakra, or Anahata.
- Location: In the center of the chest (the energy center is not located where our actual heart organ lies; rather, the heart chakra is in the center of the chest area); it is the 4th chakra counting from the bottom of the spine in the traditional 7 chakra system.
- Color: Green (higher energy frequencies can turn to pink)
- Symbol: Two intersecting triangles forming a 6-pointed star in a circle with 12 petals
- Original name in Sanskrit: Anahata
- Element: Air
Additional elements used in modern healing practices to balance the heart chakra are crystals or gemstones and aromatherapy. If you’re curious, here’s a list of the most common ones used to activate or balance the fourth chakra:
- Heart chakra healing stones: Pink quartz, clear quartz, jade, green calcite
- Essential oils: Rose, geranium, neroli, ylang ylang, jasmine, bergamot
Other key elements associated with the heart chakra are:
- Glands or bodily functions: Thymus gland, responsible for hormone production and important in the regulation of the immune system.
The main meanings or functions associated with the heart chakra are:
- Love for oneself and others
- Relating, relationships
- Compassion, empathy
- Forgiveness, acceptance
- Transformation, change
- Ability to grieve and reach peace
- Compassionate discernment
- Center of awareness, integration of insights
When the heart chakra is open, you may feel being deeply connected, the harmonious exchange of energy with all that is around you, and the appreciation of beauty. However, when there’s a blockage in the heart chakra, you may experience difficulties in your relating with others, such as excessive jealousy, codependency, or being closed down, withdrawn.
The Heart chakra is associated with the following psychological and behavioral characteristics:
- Capacity to love
- Integration, bridge between earthly and spiritual aspirations
- Transcending personal identity and limitations of the ego
- Experience of unconditional love and connection with all
- Heart-centered discernment
- Appreciation of beauty in all things
- Experiencing deep and meaningful relationships